Wednesday, July 20, 2016

RAPID FIRE UPDATE 7/20/16

I must apologize for my absence...I just realized it has been nearly a month since my last post. I have no excuse other than I have been very busy working on your golf course. There are several things I would like to bring you up to speed on so expect a few post over the next week or so.

Today, there are a couple of topics that I generally make a dedicated post about every summer but since I am behind you will get them in one shot today.


CICADA KILLER WASPS

The Cicada Killer Wasps are back again on their annual hunt for Cicadas. You may find them pretty much anywhere on the property but they seem to prefer #13 and #16 fairways, the bunkers, and the practice bunker green at the driving range. They are wasps and can sting but are not aggressive and pose minimal threat to humans. Their damage to the golf course is caused by their burrow digging - specifically the little piles of soil that are left behind. We are on a control program and their numbers have been greatly reduced but, as with previous years, I anticipate they will be a nuisance for the next several weeks. For more info on the Cicada Killer Wasps, check out this post from summer 2014.



AEROSOL SUNSCREEN/INSECT REPELLENT

I am a daily user of sunscreen and occasional user of insect repellent and I encourage you all to do the same. But, the popular aerosol products are harmful to the turfgrass. The propellant used in the aerosol cans contains ingredients that will burn the turfgrass leaf and often is seen on the golf course as a perfect set of footprints. I have not seen any turf killed by these products but it certainly can make it look a little rough for a while. Turfgrass damage can be easily avoided by applying aerosol product while standing on the cart path or other non-living surface. Click here for a bit more info on "Footprints" from aerosol use on the golf course.



BALL MARK REPAIR

I am sure that most, if not all of you, make and repair ball marks on the greens on a regular basis. Below is a simple image explaining the proper way to repair a ball mark. The basic take home message is to pull the healthy turf from the edge of the indention to the center and not pry the center back up. Click here for a more wordy explanation of the process.



DIVOT REPAIR

Divots are a reality of golf, there really isn't a way to avoid it. But what we can avoid is un-repaired divots. I am happy to report that the new sand (with compost) introduced this spring is performing better than expected. I am also happy to report that, in my opinion, divot repair by Members and guest has drastically improved since last summer. To all of you who are doing your part to keep the divot epidemic under control, thank you!   

I have opined on the "correct" way to repair a divot many times....click here if you wish to get more info on the subject.

Also, a Divot Night is on the calendar for Tuesday, September 13 at 6:00 pm. I hope you all will plan to join us!

No comments :

Post a Comment